Friday, February 13, 2009

One Nine Nine Four

I am a sucker for music documentaries if its on TV I will watch it. From the basic creating a music video or a album to the generation of music history documentaries. Okay not every documentary have to take a step back on that statement I will not watch documentaries on the Jonas brother,Miley Cyrus or anything from Hinder. Majority of documentaries even the hard to watch Some Kind of Monster the metallica documentary.Its not terrible, it was just hard to watch one of the biggest bands in the world hitting there lowest point on film and making quite possibly there worst album(Death Magnet redeemed metallica for now)but,it was still interesting to watch.

I enjoy watching this type of documentaries because you get the back story of how albums are created.The technology that was used and some of the ups and downs of the process.Which leads me to one of the documentaries on my to see list. Lets go back to 1994 when Will Smith had a TV show, Ace of Base were actually popular and I was only 8 years old yep crazy. I can remember being in elementary school and kids at the beginning of the year were wearing flannel clothes coping the grunge look.But by summer the look began to change kids were wearing beat up clothes and started dying there hair.

Yep that Summer Green Days album Dookie was released the album that brought back punk to the forefront in music. At the time I listened to them but did not get it, all I knew is that they were from California and everyone loved them. Once I got older I see what the significances of Green Day's Dookie was, it brought a full scene of music back that laid dormant since the mid 80's.The Offspring, NOFX ,Rancid and later on blink 182 all came up around the same time. Which, lead people to listen to old punk bands Bad Religion,Black Flag,The Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Clash(some extent Elvis Costello).So 1994 is a very important year in history for rock music and music in general.

Which Leads me to the new documentary One Nine Nine Four. Which revolves around the 1994 punk rock explosion from the slow 80's and early 90's and what happened once punk rock returned. I remember seeing the preview clip on there website and was excited to see the stories around that scene at that time and when I saw the director on late night TV talking about the movie it got me more interested. Because, I think music is very important for me and society as a whole. Also to see how the music landscape has changed since the release of Dookie and the re-birth of punk rock.I don't think music has gotten worse, I think the good and Innovative music is underneath the surface you just need to find it. For the case of punk rock right now its at a shallow point but, I see it as genre of music that will always be around and will not go to obscurity like other genres.

Little more info on One Nine Nine Four.The release of the movie should be around this summer but is still looking for a distributor.If you want to see more checkout the website where it has a six minute preview of the documentary.

5 comments:

Kdubs said...

you said dookie, ha.

Secret Agent Michael Scarn said...

If you want to see a great documentary, check out "The Times of Harvey Milk" -- an Academy Award winning documentary made in the '80s.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49577/the-times-of-harvey-milk

Andre said...

Cool I Will check that out sometime

Rafael said...

Very good article. It seems so long ago that Dookie hit the airwaves. I remember first hearing their music while hanging out at a friend's house after baseball practice. It was unlike anything else I had heard at the time. I also think that this was the first time that my father and I began to share a similar taste in music.

Andre said...

Music is the one of the best ways to connect people.